Sunday, September 10, 2006

Responsibilities Of Age

As we age, we lose ability and others assume responsibility. Too many of us are too willing to let them, and we lose more ability. We should face this loss, and ourselves define our responsibilities. At the least, we should look after ourselves as much as possible, for our own good as well as for others'.

Also, we should accept and even ask for help when we do need it, avoiding unnecessary difficulties for all. We should be responsible, in every sense.

This responsibility includes continuity for what should not be lost, both things and records, and possibly most important, memories. We should pull things together, decide title as we prepare to go, write down the record, and with today's media, tape, photograph, or put on disk what we can, including our own memories. My own father remembered when there were no airplanes, and I remember when there was no television. My own poorly recorded memories also include the Halifax North End after the Explosion. I'd better hurry, as I am ninety-two and consciously -- or is it knowingly? -- forgetful.

Together with the record, shouldn't we pass on advice? Surely we have learned something which is relevant to the future, which so reliably repeats itself. Our responsibility, then, is to be as little a burden as we can manage, and to pass on the records and lessons we have accumulated and learned.

6 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Blogger Judith said...

Hullo Don, I found you through The Ageless Project. I do agree with what you say about recording. I have been storing up stuff in my mind and my computer for years, waiting for the time and the necessary kickstart to get going on my memoirs. And then I started a blog a year ago, and soon after I realised I was ready to go. So some of it is getting into my blog, and some of it is going into a computer file with a view to possible publication later. Will I find immortality that way? I wonder......

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My father passed away last month so it is with myself the urgent need to correct mainly the many stories you keep for interests sake

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great design, useful info!This resourse is great!Keep it up!With the best regards!
Frank

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite useful info, thanks for this article.
1 | look | this -> | 2 | glance 7 | this

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you're getting your information, but great
topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for great information I was looking for this information for my
mission.

Feel free to visit my blog :: jasmine live ()

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, michael kors, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home